Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Old outlines given new life


  I recently went through some of my notes and part of my outline from Nanowrimo 2008 this past week and came to a sudden realization...I actually liked my old plot more than I do my current plot.  Some ideas and some characters are far more developed and are more dynamic than the '08 versions, but overall the '08 story captivated me much quicker than this year's story.
  The great thing about going through old stories, plots, notes, and any other plans for a story as that in some cases you forget completely what the story was like.  In one sense you can approach the story much like a reader would.  I was drawn in to the story I had typed out, I was even captivated by what I had written, and in my current '09 iteration of my novel there is no sense of that need to turn the page.  It's not compelling enough to for the reader to feel the want, almost a need, to turn the page and see the events unfold.  My '08 is.  Or is closer at the very least.
  I feel that I will need to reinvent a few characters, restructure my fantasy world, and rework the plot to meld the two outlines into something that feels much more compelling, and ideally will be able to tell a captivating story.  Currently the trio of primary protagonists are redone, and the antagonists are being worked on, as well as a rebuilding of the world.
  As a side note, check out The Scriptorioum's Toolbox section for great forms on character creation, world planners, plot planners, and scene planners.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing what happens when you go through old notes. That's why its nice to keep them around for years. Something in there may catch your fancy years down the road. Now you know why I have so many notebooks.

    ReplyDelete