Search This Blog

Monday, October 31, 2011

By the Seat of My Pants

  So it is Nanowrimo's Eve and I still don't have an outline.  Normally, that would be a bad thing.  You see, every year prior, I've had a semi-decent outline of Story, Characters, places, etc.  And every year I have failed to meet the 50,000 word challenge.  This year, however, I'm not too concerned.
  I have the protagonists' and antagonists' basic profiles figured out, and a very basic premise for the story, and that's it.  I plan on writing by the seat of my pants, and I'll figure out all the little details about the story as I write it.  Now I don't plan to just write willy-nilly without some organization.
  I'm going to use Yarny, a wonderful and powerful writing web-app.  Yarny has a character, location, and item section to add notes and such to.  Using the character sheets from the Scriptorium, I create a full character profile.  As I write, if I add something that will affect the character's basic "self" then I will jot it into their character profile.  As I add locations, I will create a location profile for each location.  Same goes for any special items.  What this will do is allow me to still be flexible, but at least semi consistent.
  So, for those of you who are also going to write from the seat of your pants, good luck!  Whether good or bad, the bright side os there's always time after Nanowrimo to edit, and work out the kinks and inconsistencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment